Becoming a User at the Minnesota Nano Center
The following steps will get you on your way to becoming a new user at the Minnesota Nano Center. New User Orientation sessions are offered each month on the first Wednesday (1:00 -2:00 pm) and third Thursday (10:00-11:00AM) in room 140 of the Physics and Nanotechnology Building. If you have questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 612-624-8005.
- Review the lab rules & policies and lab safety plan.
- Watch the safety training video (22 minutes) online.
- Take the safety test online.
- Sign up for an account on Badger, the MNC's lab use software.
- Print and fill out the NNCI facility user profile. Make sure to bring this form to your new user orientation.
- UMN users: read, print, and sign the Release of Liability form. Bring the signed form with you to New User Orientation.
- Non-UMN users: a purchase order, UMN Lab Use Agreement, and Certificate of Liability Insurance (as detailed in paragraph 11.9 of the Lab Use Agreement) are required. Instructions on how to fill out the agreement may be obtained here. If you have questions, please contact us at email@example.com or 1-612-624-8005.
- If you plan to work in one of our cleanrooms, attend a new user orientation session. Sessions are offered each month on the first Wednesday (1:00 -2:00 pm) and third Thursday (10:00-11:00AM) in Room 140 of the Physics and Nanotechnology Building. Before attending, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to register for your session. Include with your email: first name, last name, UMN department or company, and UM advisor or company. You will have your photo taken for your ID badge, get a tour of the MNC gowning area, and learn more about how to use the lab software Badger.
- If you plan to use the Nanomaterials or Bio-Nano labs only, and will not be using the cleanrooms, contact Jim Marti at email@example.com to set up your lab orientation. You will not need to attend the regular new user orientation.