Becoming a New Lab User
The following steps will get you on your way to becoming a new user at the Minnesota Nano Center. New User Orientation sessions are offered on the first Wednesday (1:00-2:00pm) and third Thursday (10:00-11:00 AM) of each month in room 140 of the Physics and Nanotechnology Building. If you have questions, please contact us at email@example.com or 612-624-8005.
- Review the lab safety plan.
- Watch the safety training video (22 minutes) online.
- Take the safety test online.
- Sign up for an account on Badger, the MNC's lab use software.
- Print and fill out the NNCI facility user profile. Make sure to bring this form to your new user orientation.
- If you only wish to have access to the Keller cleanroom, skip to the next step. If you also wish to have access to the PAN cleanroom, please review the PAN cleanroom training presentation and also take the on-line quiz.
- UMN users: bring a signed copy of the Account Change form with you to New User Orientation. This form indicates how your time will be charged. Have this signed by your advisor or supervisor.
- Non-UMN users: a purchase order, UMN Lab Use Agreement, and Certificate of Liability Insurance are required. Please contact Nano Center Staff at 612 624-8005 or at firstname.lastname@example.org for instructions on how to iniitate a lab use agreement, or to answer any questions.
- If you plan to work in one of our cleanrooms, attend a new user orientation session. Sessions are offered on the first Wednesday (1:00-2:00pm) and third Thursday (10:00-11:00 AM) of each month in Room 140 of the Physics and Nanotechnology Building. Before attending, please email email@example.com to register for your session. Include with your email: first name, last name, UMN department or company name, and if you are a UMN student, the name of your advisor. You will have your photo taken for your ID badge, get a tour of the MNC gowning area, and learn more about how to use the lab use software.
- If you plan to use the Nanomaterials or Bio-Nano labs only, and will not be using the cleanrooms, contact Jim Marti at firstname.lastname@example.org to set up your lab orientation. You will not need to attend the regular new user orientation.
How to work with us
There are a number of ways to build your project at the MNC:
- the assisted project, in which our staff does the work in consultation with you. After your device is designed, MNC staff will fabricate the prototype devices for testing in our "nanomachine shop."
- the do-it-yourself option, where your staff can receive equipment training and carry out your R&D activities independently and on your own schedule.
- the sponsored research approach. If your project involves more basic research and could benefit by the involvement of University faculty, we can help assemble a project team that includes University faculty and staff.
To discuss your potential project, contact us at 612 624-8005 or at email@example.com.